Monday, July 18, 2011

How do you SOAR in Real Estate? ...JUMP!

Why does the Thrill of Soaring
Have to begin with the fear of falling?

There are a few times in my life where I can say I was absolutely scared stiff…but I think one of the most memorable was as a young Marine standing on the tailgate exit of a C-130 looking down to the ground below…reciting in my head…"Proper exit, check body position, and count"…. eyes open, chin on chest…elbows tight into the sides….. when the jumpmasters hand tapped my shoulder…it was time to go… the first 5 seconds is terrifying, the C-130’s engine drone immediately disappears and is replaced by the rush of wind which almost sucks the air from your lungs.
Then the fun begins….you are flying!

In learning how to jump from perfectly good airplanes, the jumpmaster only gives you one tap…the next thing you feel will be a boot in your backside…or what they call “THE PUSH”

I often think about this experience when rookie associates join our team, all bright eyed, with vim and vigor to learn the business. But all too often, I see rookie associates fail to realize the importance of “The Push”.  The leap of faith… full bore into the real estate business.

As a coach I see many types of avoidance behavior exhibited with rookie associates, (or what I like to call “Getting ready, to get ready, to get into the real estate business”). Some examples are “I want to start part time and see how it goes”…  “I want to complete my post broker license classes first, this will give me credibility”…”I want to obtain a few designations first, so I will look knowledgeable”…etc.

You obtain “street cred” with hands on experience…which means Listing and Selling Real Estate. Experience is what gives you the knowledge to gain a clients trust… You fear mistakes being made…and  Yes, sometimes they will happen… but that is what your Broker is for…if you are not 100% sure…ask questions….lots of them!

So are you getting ready to get ready? Have you put off prospecting because of the fear of falling? Are you an experienced associate who is standing at the door? Are you in need of the “TAP” or “THE PUSH”? …Jump on out and Soar!

Eddie Brown ©2010
www.ICU-Coaching.com

No comments: